womens soccer 9/30

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team is off to a 3–0 start to the season after a 2–0 road victory against the Georgia Bulldogs in the Bulldog Classic. The Hokies have now shut out their first three opponents on the way to a perfect start to the season.

The Hokies and Bulldogs battled through an even matchup to start the game at Turner Soccer Complex in Athens, Georgia. In the 36th minute, senior midfielder Lilly Weber broke the scoreless tie with a goal assisted by senior defender Jaylyn Thompson. Weber’s goal is her first of the season and Thompson records her first assist of the season.

With the end of the first half closing in, senior forward Bridget Patch scored another goal off of a free kick taken by senior defender Kelsey Irwin. The goal is Patch’s first of the season and the assist is Irwin’s second of the year.

The Hokies gained a 2–0 lead in the 45th minute of the first half and never looked back. Senior goalkeeper Mandy McGlynn recorded five saves throughout the game as the Hokies went on to shut out the Bulldogs.

While Tech outshot Georgia six to five in the first half, the total shots ended 10 to seven in favor of the Bulldogs. Georgia recorded five shots in the second half in an attempt to overcome the two-goal deficit, but Tech’s defense remained stout in the shutout effort.

The Hokies are now 3–0 on the season as head coach Charles Adair leads his squad through the non-conference schedule. The Hokies are set to return to action in the Bulldog Classic on Sept. 1 against the Auburn Tigers. Tech returns home on Sept. 5 as the Alabama Crimson Tide comes to town to face off with the Hokies at Thompson Field.