Women's soccer vs. Miami

Thanks to three saves by goalie Mandy McGlynn, No. 18 Virginia Tech’s two-goal victory over Miami on Sept. 21 marks the third game in a row Tech has not let its opponents score.

Sophomore midfielder Emily Gray was the driving force against the Canes. She scored both goals for Tech and now has scored four times in the last three matches. With the goals, she became the first Hokie since 2015 to record goals in three consecutive matches and kick game winners in all three.

In the eighth minute of play, sophomore Grace Sklopan drew a foul and set up a free kick for Gray. Gray connected with the back of the net to put the Hokies up 1–0 early. In the 86th minute, Gray picked up a loose ball and scored again to seal up the game. It will certainly be interesting to see how Gray progresses throughout the remainder of the season.

Virginia Tech put pressure on Miami the entire game and the ball was often near Miami’s goal. The Hokies outshot the Canes 16–4. But, Miami goalkeeper Tyler Speaks came up with four saves.

With the 2–0 win, the Hokies advance to 9–0 on the season and tie the 2012 program for the second-longest win streak to start the season. One more win would match the school record at 10–0. But, Virginia Tech has a huge hurdle to overcome in order to achieve that feat. Up next, Tech takes on in-state rival and the No.1 team in the nation, the University of Virginia. That match will take place in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Sept. 26, giving Virginia the home advantage. The Hokies will likely be preparing all week for what is arguably its biggest game of the season. Many players must come up big in that contest order to remain undefeated.

Miami will now prepare for its matchup against Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, also on Sept. 26 and looks to break its two-game losing streak.