Wsoc v. USC

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team picked up its first road win against a ranked opponent in three years on Sunday, Sept. 12, as it defeated the No. 12 South Carolina Gamecocks by a score of 1–0.

The last time the Hokies defeated a ranked opponent in a road game was during the 2018 NCAA Tournament when the squad upset No. 17 Texas.

The Hokies tallied the game-winning goal in just the 20th minute of the match as redshirt junior forward Nicole Kozlova found the back of the net with a sliding volley. Kozlova, who scored her fifth goal of the season on this play, is currently second on the team in goals.

Senior midfielder Emily Gray, who was credited with the assist on Kozlova’s goal, moved into fourth place for assists in program history with 19 over her career.

From there, Hokies goalkeeper Alia Skinner denied all three shots on goal from the Gamecocks, including a shot in the 89th minute that would have served as a late equalizer. This game serves as Skinner’s third shutout of the season.

With this win, the Hokies have concluded non-conference play and will prepare to face their first ACC opponent of the year in the form of North Carolina. State. That game will take place at Thompson Field on Saturday, Sept. 18, at 7 p.m.