The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team faced the Penn State Nittany Lions on Feb. 16 and were able to defeat the Lions (3-2, 0-0) with a final score of 6-1. The Hokies (6-1, 0-1) are .857 overall following the match. The Hokies were able to bounce back from their loss against Clemson on Feb. 14 in the team’s ACC opener.

The Hokies won all of their double matches, entering the singles round with a 1-0 lead against the Lions. The duo of seniors Shene Disbergen and Natalie Novotna won 7-5; juniors Elizabet Danailova and Nika Kozar finished strong with a winning score of 6-2.

Freshman Erika Cheng and junior Nina Sorkin had a tough match, but were able to overpower the Penn State players with a final score of 6-6, 3-2. It was arguably the toughest match, and the Hokies were able to squeak out a hard-earned win in the process.

Kozar, Danailova, Sorkin, Disbergen and Cheng were successful in their singles matches, earning the Hokies five more points. Novotna, after a hard-fought game, fell to Penn State junior Gabby O’Gorman, resulting in the Lions earning their first and only point of the match.

The crowds for both teams were very vocal in their support of their schools, but Tech was able to utilize the home court advantage and were the ultimate successors of the match. The Hokies will play again Feb. 17 at 4 p.m. at home in the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center against the Radford Highlanders.