The Lyric Theatre at its current location in downtown Blacksburg opened in 1930 and is perhaps one of the most prominent feature of the town. At that time, it featured state-of-the-art equipment and was one of the very first theaters in the state of Virginia to show “talkies,” or films with sound.
With new theaters opening in the area and technology for home videos rapidly improving, the Lyric closed in 1989 and served as the Democratic
Party headquarters until 1994, when a group known as the Downtown Merchants of Blacksburg came together in determination to re-open the Lyric.
In 1996, the Lyric re-opened, and for two years served business again. It underwent a major renovation in March 1998 that forced it to close for seven months. Since its third re-opening, the theater has served as a non-profit theater and community center.
Check its website at TheLyric.com for movie times and upcoming events.