The next time you are looking to make a healthy vegetarian entree, try these stuffed peppers. They are simple to make, yet look deceivingly gourmet and are perfect for a cool fall day.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
3/4 cup water
4 green bell peppers
1 onion, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces extra firm tofu
2 cups tomato sauce
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. In a small sauce pan, bring water to a boil and add the rice. Reduce heat to low and simmer with lid on for about 15 minutes.
3. Cut the tops off the peppers, remove the seeds and arrange the peppers on a large baking sheet. Chop the usable parts of the tops.
4. In a large skillet heat olive oil and saute the chopped pepper and onion over medium heat until soft or for about 10 minutes. Add the tofu and 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce and simmer for five minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into the peppers and top with remaining tomato sauce.
5. Cover the top of each pepper with tinfoil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover the peppers and top with mozzarella, baking just long enough to melt the cheese.