The Croque Monsieur, originating from France, is basically a fancy name for a ham and cheese sandwich. While it may seem like a basic meal, using Brie adds a slight twist. Add a fried egg on top to change this to a Croque Madame.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
9 ounces of Brie, cut into 12 thin slices
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 slices thinly sliced ham
12 slices white bread
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Assemble six sandwiches, each with one slice of ham and two slices of cheese between two slices of bread.
3. Cut each sandwich in half so they are triangular.
4. Heat half of the melted butter in a large nonstick pan on medium heat. Make sure the butter covers the entire pan.
5. Dip sandwich halves into the egg and milk mixture so each side is covered. Immediately place in preheated pan and cook for two-to-three minutes per sandwich, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Serve hot off the stove.