Using the Zatarains mix bypasses several hours of simmering for this quick-stew. Minimal preparation and costs make this a staple for college apartments.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1/2 pound button mushrooms
1 pound pork sausage
1/2 pound kale greens
1 medium onion
8-ounce can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1 family-size box of Zatarains dirty rice mix
1 bunch fresh cilantro
2 cups water
3 cups chicken stock
1. Dice the onion, quarter the mushrooms and shred the kale. In a large saucepot , sweat the onions over medium heat until translucent. Add the pork sausage and cook until evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms, kale and tomatoes. Cook until softened, about six minutes.
3. Add the Zatarains rice and seasoning packet. Add the chicken stock and water. The liquid should cover everything sufficiently.
4. Cover the saucepot. Over low-to-medium heat, simmer for 25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
5. Remove from heat. Mince 1/4 cup of the cilantro and add to garnish.