A house in Montgomery County was damaged by fire yesterday morning.
Firefighters responded to the home on Old Fort Road at approximately 10:45 a.m. Crews worked for over an hour before the fire was extinguished.
According to the Blacksburg Fire Department, no one was home at the time, but a dog was inside the house. The dog did not survive.
The fire was caused by a generator. The house was in a part of Montgomery County that did not have power at the time.
The generator was operating a short distance away from the house, with a power cable running into the basement of the home. The fire began at the socket where the generator was connected.
The fire caused approximately $83,000 worth of damage to the home.