The pomegranate seeds add a tart, bright flavor to this vanilla pudding. However, instead of pomegranate seeds you can substitute other fruits or chocolate chips for a sweeter dessert. When combining the heated milk and the egg mixture, make sure it is done slowly, so the eggs do not cook. If the eggs scramble, then the pudding will not set properly.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 vanilla bean
1. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Add it to two cups of whole milk and bring it to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch, egg, sugar, a pinch of salt and the remaining cup of milk. There should not be any clumps of cornstarch in the mixture.
3. Once the milk is at a simmer, slowly whisk it into the egg mixture. Take care not to add the milk too quickly, otherwise the eggs will scramble.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until it reaches the desired consistency. Make sure that you scrape the bottom of the saucepan so that it does not scorch.
5. Chill in the refrigerator until fully set, about three hours.
6. Break open the pomegranate and remove the seeds for garnish.