The critical tool for applying to jobs and internships is a well-written resume. Here are a few tips from Virginia Tech’s Career Services for a successful resume that stands out to potential employers.
Keep in mind, these are just a few quick tips to get you started. If you are looking for more help, schedule an appointment with your advisor or with Career Services to find someone to help edit and finalize your resume.
- Use 10-12 size and easily readable font.
- If you have a creative resume, be sure to have a traditional one too, just in case that is what employers want GPA is usually only needed for technical fields.
- Use specific examples of what you learned or skills you gained
- Have at least one person edit your resume Update your resume after every semester to keep it recent and relevant
- Don't copy templates, just use them as inspiration