Womens soccer vs Wake Forest

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team (8–2–1, 2–1 ACC) delivered another stellar performance this weekend, beating Wake Forest (7–2–2, 1–2 ACC) away by a score of 2–0 to secure their second ACC win of the season.

Wake Forest started the game strong, maintaining possession and creating chances. The Demon Deacons earned a penalty in the 36th minute, but the score stayed the same as Caiya Hanks missed wide left from the spot.

Virginia Tech pounced on an opportunity shortly after, as Sophie Maltese converted a header at the back right post to put the Hokies up 1–0 in the 39th. The Hokies carried this momentum into the second half, despite a weather delay that prolonged the restart of play.

With the start of the second half, Virginia Tech immediately earned a penalty but were denied by a great diving save from Wake Forest goalie Kaitlyn Parks. Later in the 49th minute, Taylor Bryan doubled the Hokies lead, smashing the ball into the top right corner after a breakaway play.

The Hokies held on to win their second straight ACC game, and remain undefeated in away games this season (5–0–0). They return to Thompson Field on Oct. 1 for a matchup with #3 North Carolina (9–2, 2–1 ACC).